Eat Less Saturated Fat
- Eat baked, broiled, or stewed fish and meats instead of fried.
- Use nonfat or low-fat salad dressing, mayo, and margarine.
- Try a food lower in fat in a favorite dish—for example, make mac and cheese with fat-free or low-fat cheese and milk.
Eat Less Sugar
- Drink water, sugar-free soda, or unsweetened iced tea instead of fruit drinks, regular soda, or sweet tea.
- Keep cold water in the fridge.
- Share dessert with someone else when you’re eating out, instead of having a whole dessert.
Eat Healthy Portions
- When eating out, share a meal with someone else or put half in a box to take home.
- Eat slowly and take a break between bites.
- Do not skip meals—when you skip a meal, it’s easy to overeat at the next meal.
Content courtesy of the National Center for Disease Prevention and Health Promotion.